Split ends are a nightmare for a girl, who is especially trying to grow her hair out. Now, let’s be real, the hustle to grow the hair out is already hard, but when you get the split ends, it is almost like a cherry on top of all the fuss. Instead of having a silky and smooth hair, you look like you have burned the life out of your hair with those dry ends.
Factors that cause split ends:
- Over washing your hair with hot water
- Using hot tools without protecting your hair
- Over using hair products every day, such as hair gels, serums and sprays of any kind
- Excessive use of bobby pins or tight headbands
- Not being gentle with your hair while combing it
- Do not moisturize your hair with oils and masks
- Not trimming your hair on time
- Room temperature, too humid or too cold
- Outdoor weather, eg. winter colds and summer rays
How to fix it?
Constant hair care routine is very important for your natural hair as well as for your hair extensions (especially hair extensions since they are not getting any nutrients). Finding the perfect product that your hair reacts well to is very important. Listen to your hair. If it does not like the product, be it organic or recommended by your stylist, then drop it from your routine. Switch it with something else. Something better. Usually to achieve greater results you will go and spend whole lot more on a mask or leave in treatment and what not, but let us suggest 5 masks that will leave your satisfied with the results. Believe us when we say that there is nothing better than homemade mask. No matter how organically certified a brand claims to be they will never be one if they have shelf life of over 7 days, if not even less with some products. Nutrients simply will be lost.
5 Homemade Hair Masks
Mask #1 – Egg Mask
Recommended to smooth out your hair from those split ends, and will bring moisture and shine to your hair.
- Whisk an egg or two with honey and olive or almond oil
- Leave it in for 30-45 minutes and wash it off with shampoo
Mask #2 – Castor Oil
To increase hair growth and strengthen the roots while getting rid off the split ends, castor oil is the number 1 mask that you should seriously consider including in your hair care routine.
- Massage 1-2 teaspoons of warmed up castor oil to your hair
- You can apply it to your root to strengthen the hair and boost hair growth, and/or you can massage it into your roots to get rid off the split ends
- For greater results to remove the split ends, mix mustard and olive oil with your castor oil, and then apply it to your hair for 30 minutes. Make sure you wrap your hair fully to stimulate the process and rinse it off with shampoo when your time is up.
Mask # 3 – Cream
Recommended for an extra hydration and moisture.
- Add cream to your hair and wait for 15 minutes before you rinse it off. You can also try this mask by mixing the cream (1 tbsp.) with milk (0.5 cup) - almost a half and half ration;)
Mask #4 – Avocados
Another great mask to moisturize your hair with good fats and nutrients.
- Mash an avocado and coat your split ends with it. Note: you have to apply it to a damp hair, not dry hair.
Mask #5 – Coconut and/or Argan Oil
Both of these oils are magic elixirs to your body, skin, and hair. They are super rich in vitamins that are so important for the health of your hair, when you are fighting dry and dull hair, frizzy and split ends. Also, we have a video about the benefits of coconut oil on your hair and you can watch it down below.
- Massage either one of those oils into your hair and we recommend to also massage it into your scalp to stimulate the blood flow that in return will increase the hair growth
- Make sure to wrap your hair for 30-45 minutes and then you can wash it off with shampoo
To conclude, take care of your hair. Drink lots of water. Shower using lukewarm water. Be gentle to it. Nourish it.
If you found this article interesting, please share it with your friends who might be looking for effective and healthy treatments. Also, do not forget to subscribe to our newsletter for more helpful tips.
We also got interesting articles, such as:
- April 22, 2017
- Konul Iskenderova