The comprehensive research proves that girls continue to be the only group in the world that is ignored the most. They encounter discrimination just because they are young and females.
Here are the rights girls and young ladies are mostly denied:
- involve actively and equally in society,
- make significant decisions about their future life and bodies,
- equal rights and opportunities,
- defense from gender-based harassment.
BECAUSE I AM A GIRL is a worldwide project driven by Plan International, it guarantees girls rights all around the world and makes sure they can learn, lead, decide and thrive.
FACTS and STATISTICS
- Worldwide, over 62 mln girls have no access to primary and secondary school. Based on the statistics, young girls all over the world are refused in their rights to education, gaining knowledge, skills, and opportunities to build better and brilliant future.
- Globally, pregnancy and delivery are the second driving reason for death among girls who are among 15 to 19 years old.
The complexity of pregnancy period and childbirth put the lives of young girls under the huge risk, including their babies. Pregnancy during the early ages promotes the higher risk of premature labor, difficulties during delivery time, and death of the newborn infants and their moms.
Source: World Health Organization
- Every additional school years can potentially increase her income by 10 to 20%.
If they were given a chance to study, they would obtain necessary knowledge, skills, and opportunities to build a significantly better life for themselves and everybody who surrounds them.
Source: World Bank
- According to the statistics, annually around 15 million girls around the age of 18 get married, which equals to 41,000 events each day, approximately 1 girl every 2 seconds.
Child marriage is most of the time subjects to forced marriage and affects the lives of millions of girls globally. It leads to violation of human rights and may endanger their education and health.
- When a girl gets a 7-year proper education, in practice she marries 4 years later and usually has 2.2 fewer healthier kids.
Girls who get an education and marry later, have fewer kids and are more likely to look for healthcare for themselves and children.
Source: Centre for Global Development
- Worldwide, women would have over 60% less maternal deaths if they completed primary education.
In fact, education is considered as one of the most influential ways to improve maternal and child health. Educated mothers are better acknowledged about viruses, protective measures and are more likely to get an access to healthcare services.
- Gender Equality is beneficial for both girls and boys.
Regardless of the gender, children have a better life opportunity if their mothers are able to go to school, while fathers are more drawn into the family.
- Young girls suffer 2 times more from malnutrition in developing and third world countries.
It might sound unfair, however, in many societies, women and girls eat only leftovers of their male family members. This kind of “food discrimination” may result in chronic disease.
- In 2014, nearly 62% of all new HIV infections among teenagers happened among young girls.
Even though the percent of new HIV infections is reducing overall, young women are disproportionately impacted everywhere.
- Gender discrimination in many countries creates numerous obstacles to girls’ education.
There are lots of things keeping girls out of school. The obstacles to education for girls are child marriage, poverty, household exploitation, commute time to school, and even the lack of strictly girls-only washrooms.
ROLE OF ANCHANTÉ HAIR
Being part of BECAUSE I AM A GIRL fund is a big honor for all our Anchanté team members. We are aiming to come together to improve the conditions of these young girls globally and want to achieve the equality. In order to help this fund to strive for the desired results, we will be donating 5% of each sale to BECAUSE I AM A GIRL fund by making sure that every day girls’ rights are on the agenda. Beside the pecuniary aid, our team takes actionable steps towards the assistance and attends all sorts of events directed to make the life of discriminated and dependent girls better from day to day. Those events include supporting the youth-led clubs, joining and participating in the speakers' bureau, attending workshops and motivating other organizations and individuals to do the same.
We sincerely ask you to get involved in the collaboration process and not ignore the existing problem of girls rights. You can do so by following one or all 3 steps below:
- Donate directly on the official website of International Plan Canada.
- Make a purchase on our website and we will donate 5% of your purchase to the fund.
- Engage with the project by joining and regularly participating in the clubs and conferences.
Whatever you decide to do, please remember that each of you can make an impact towards someone’s life and improve its quality. We are all human and it’s not their fault that some of them have to struggle the entire life cycle just because they were born in a different country, culture and life conditions. Join and let’s do it together!